Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Blog Assignment 7: Website Evaluation

The website I chose to critique is the University of Southern Mississippi’s biological website. I chose this website because I find myself always on this page for something. After viewing and navigating this website, I would want to state that the overall effectiveness of the University’s biological website is mediocre at best because although it is fact based, it does not derive any further away from what is being offered. I guess you can say there is no “fun” in the page. The usability and navigation of the website is superb. The information present on the web site is always readily accessible. The persuasiveness of this webpage ranks low also. Besides a couple of pictures that show how biology interacts with everything, there is nothing else present that would remotely generate any type of interest to newer, future biologists.
From all of my critiquing, I would suggest the webmaster change several things around to make the website more appealing. First off, I would suggest that the visual aspect of the website be changed. Although the website does contain a lot of information that is easily to navigate and access, there are to many words that would deter people from sitting there and reading through each option and folder to know which one they want to go to. Secondly, I would suggest that the webmaster or the biological department include more pictures as well as biological significant events that the University’s biological department participates in. This would lead to a more persuasive type of webpage in which it would entice and encourage future biologists to join in on the fun. With these changes to the web site, I believe that the biological website would be a huge improvement and the overall effectiveness would increase tenfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment